| Maia Claire Altamonte Springs, 2017 |
When we first arrived, we stayed at a Howard Johnson's for ten days. From there, I looked at three apartments and made up my mind. My husband begrudgingly came along to help. Not in the position to quit his job, he returned to NYC before we even stepped foot in our new digs.
Somehow I managed to move alone, with my then four-year-old and five luggage pieces. For the first week or so we had no bed, no furniture, nada. I improvised a mattress with blankets and pillows on a carpeted floor. How did we pay for all of this? Well, with credit cards and a student loan.
I had just enrolled in New Jersey City University's online graduate program. I was pursuing a Master of Science in School Health Education. I had received a Federal Student Loan. About half covers the cost of classes, and the rest can be spent on living expenses.
| Salif age 3 in Jersey City, NJ |
Things had gotten so bad in Jersey City, that at one point the paramedics were at my door. Not for my son, but for me. As a toddler, Salif was so active, running, jumping, climbing and spinning, that chasing after him to prevent an accident was taking a physical toll.
My back had gone out twice. My knees weren’t working right, and I had done something to my hand, often having to wear a brace. The day I called for an ambulance was when my Achilles tendon suddenly snapped and I couldn’t walk. Living in a big city with an ASD little boy was literally breaking me.
I think back on those days and how my perspective gradually started to shift. I remember when passing a homeless person in the street, I began to see their circumstance in a new light. Were these adults on the Autism Spectrum? Had they wound up in this predicament because services weren’t in place to help them as children, teens or young adults?
My back had gone out twice. My knees weren’t working right, and I had done something to my hand, often having to wear a brace. The day I called for an ambulance was when my Achilles tendon suddenly snapped and I couldn’t walk. Living in a big city with an ASD little boy was literally breaking me.
| Salif and Alasan Fun Spot Orlando 2017 |
I was suddenly overcome with paralyzing fears for my son. The decision was made. Whatever the financial and emotional sacrifice, I’m getting Salif out of this overcrowded, chaotic, urban environment.
Since our move to Altamonte Springs, overall I have had less daily frustrations. Now, as a seasoned Special Needs parent, I can say hands down, the easier my everyday life, the better I'm able to tackle the challenges of Autism. Salif also greatly benefits from a more serene lifestyle. The science does talk about how environmental factors can exacerbate symptoms. In our case, this was absolutely true.
Radically changing our living environment has been healing for the entire family. Living as a single mom, and being given the space and time to focus exclusively on my boy’s medical condition has had its perks. My husband Alasan has been a consistent presence with regular visits, but we look forward to being permanently reunited in 2019.
sequenceofleaps@gmail.com
@maiaclairedances
